These are not only low carb, they are practically no carb! There are no fancy ingredients like coconut flour or ground up this and that. And this is way cheaper and easier and healthier than a low carb waffle mix. All you need is eggs and cream cheese! Honestly, that is it. Plus whatever you want to top it with.
They can be made in advance and then popped in the toaster to make them crispy. You could also use the waffles as bread to hold a fried egg sandwich or a low carb BLT.
The idea originated from the famous cream cheese pancake recipe on this blog. I have modified that recipe for all kinds of things and I just find is simpler than using a premade low carb pancake mix. Those never taste very good anyways and have so many ingredients we don’t need.
Tools You Will Need to Make the Low Carb Waffle Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 2 ounces cream cheese (from a brick) OR 2 tbsp mayo
- toppings of choice (butter, sugar free syrup)
- In your blender or Magic Bullet, toss in the eggs and cream cheese. I didn’t bother to bring anything to room temperature.
- Blend the eggs and cream cheese until you get a thin and bubbly batter (see my photo)
- You will need to let the batter rest for a few moments. This is when I get out the waffle maker and preheat it for 5 minutes.
- Once the waffle maker is hot, pour the entire batch into the waffle maker. This will of course depend on the size, I have a big cuisinart waffle maker. If your waffle maker is small, adjust accordingly.
- Close the lid and wait until you no longer see any steam (about 5 minutes).
- Put on a plate and top them up!
A few Notes for these low carb waffles
- They won’t come out crispy like regular waffles. However, they crisp up very nicely in my toaster oven, so you can make lots of these in advance and toast them as you need them.
- These make a great low carb dessert for LCHF, top them with berries and unsweetened whip cream.
- If you are following the Egg Fast, you can use these as bread for fried egg sandwiches or even make grilled cheese sandwiches.
- For the Egg Fast, the entire recipe counts as 2 eggs and 2 ounces cheese (or 2 tbsp if you substituted mayo for the cream cheese). I found 1/2 the recipe to be very filling once I topped it with butter!
The topping I made in the photo was simply this: I slightly melted 1 tbsp butter in a dish. I stirred in 1 teaspoon of sugar free salted caramel syrup and drizzled over top the waffles. Heavenly!
Why do I think this is the Best Low Carb Waffles Recipe?
- The recipe has only 2 ingredients!
- Fast and simple to make.
- Can be used for savory recipes as well as sweet desserts.
- The only carbs are the very low carbs in eggs and cream cheese (and whatever you top them with)
- No weird ingredients!
I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!