This recipe for Keto Blooming Onion Chaffle Sticks with a smoky sweet dip is a copy cat of the famous steak house recipe! This low carb recipe developed by Shari Weiner is a perfect snack, side or appetizer.
Keto Copy Cat Blooming Onion Chaffle Sticks with Dip
When my friend Shari Weiner shared this keto Onion Chaffle recipe with me, we immediately thought of the Blooming Onion appetizer at that famous steakhouse. You know, the one with the amazing dip.
But, assuming you shared it equally with 3 friends, that Outback appetizer would be 488 calories and 31 carbs!
But if you share this recipe of Keto Blooming Onion Chaffle Sticks with 3 low carb friends, then you would be consuming 163 calories with only 3 carbs. Quite a good savings! And they are crunchy and delicious with a sweet burst of Vidalia onion!
My son was visiting with his friend when I made these and between them it was gone in literally seconds.
Wait, are Onions OK on Keto?
Honestly, I don’t know why onions get such a bad rap in the keto groups. Sure they have carbs, but nobody eats a whole onion.
Because of their intense flavor, we tend to eat them in small enough quantities that the carbs can easily fit into most keto and low carb plans.
A thick slice of onion (which made about 10 big onion rings) is what I used in this recipe and that contains only about 5 net carbs!
Gather these ingredients to make your low carb skinny version of Blooming Onion Chaffle Sticks!
(Printable Recipe Card is below)
For the Keto Blooming Onion sticks:
- Part skim mozzarella cheese
- About 10 big onion rings from a Vidalia or other sweet onion
For the Smoky Dip:
- sugar free ketchup
- smoked paprika (or plain paprika and liquid smoke)
- Tabasco or other hot sauce
- Garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, salt and pepper
Take a look at this article for more tips on making a basic keto chaffle
Recipe Card for Keto Blooming Onion Chaffle Sticks and Dip
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces part skin mozzarella, shredded
- Large slice of Vidalia or sweet onion (about 10 rings)
- Dip ingredients:
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp sugar free ketchup
- 1 tsp grated horseradish
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (or regular paprika + 5 drops of liquid smoke) 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 4-5 drops Tabasco sauce (or other hot sauce of choice)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Plug in your Dash waffle maker
- Beat eggs
- When waffle maker is hot, sprinkle with 1/2 oz cheese
- Pour 1/4 of your beaten egg over the cheese
- Arrange 1/4 of your raw onion pieces over the cheese and egg
- Sprinkle 1/2 oz cheese over top
- Close waffle maker and cook until top is crisp
- Remove chaffle and cut into strips
- Repeat steps 1-8 to make a total of 4 Chaffles
Blooming Onion Dip:
1. Combine all dip ingredients into a small bowl and whisk until smooth
Note: There is no need to cook the onions first. Slice them no more than 1/4 inch thick and they will cook just fine in the waffle maker.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 Chaffle
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 163Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 21mgCarbohydrates: 3gNet Carbohydrates: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 10g
Want more Keto Chaffle Recipes and Ideas?
Save these Instructions for Making a Basic Keto Chaffle on Pinterest!