These crispy Keto Tuna Melt Chaffles are perfect for low carb and even for relaxed Carnivore. They make a perfect lunch or snack hot or cold. Included is a recipe for a ranch type dip also modified for carnivore.
Crispy Keto Tuna Melt Chaffles
At the time of writing up this recipe, I am participating in a 30 day carnivore challenge! I have done 30 days carnivore before (read my Zero Carb experience here).
At that time I did a very strict meat and water carnivore plan and I found it very difficult! This time I am doing Relaxed Carnivore which is still meat-centric but allows some dairy and spices and herbs.
And coffee. Enough said about that.
This tuna melt chaffle recipe fits the bill for relaxed carnivore!
What will you need for making these crispy tuna melt chaffles?
- tuna canned in water
- sour cream
- some dried herbs and spices
- Either a mini dash or a full size waffle maker
Tips and Tricks for making these Tuna Melt Chaffles
- The secret to making the chaffles crispy is in the layering (see collage below)
- If you don’t care if the keto tuna chaffles are crispy, you can just mix the cheese into the batter
- If using the mini dash waffle maker, then for each chaffle, sprinkle 1 tbsp grated cheese on the surface, then 1/4 cup batter, then another tbsp cheese. Close the lid for 4-5 minutes.
- If using the full size Dash waffle maker, then sprinkle 1/4 cup grated cheese, spread the batter evenly over the surface, sprinkle another 1/4 cup cheese and close the lid for 5-7 minutes.
- I love these cold for lunch the next day! Spread with the ranch dip.
- To reheat them, use a toaster oven, toaster, air fryer or bake until heated. Microwave is not recommended just because it will make them too chewy and not crispy.
Recipe Card for Making Keto Tuna Melt Chaffles
- 1 can (5 oz) water packed tuna, drained
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- 1 cup grated cheese, divided in half
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1/4 tsp each of the following: dried dill, chives,parsley,garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper
- Prepare dip first to allow flavors to blend. Mix all ranch dip ingredients together in small bowl and set aside
- Preheat waffle maker
- Mix together drained tuna, 1/2 c cheese, beaten egg and salt and pepper in a bowl
- Sprinkle cheese over hot waffle maker, then spread tuna batter over that and then sprinkle more cheese on top. If using mini dash then use only 1/4 cup batter at a time)
- Close lid and cook for 5-7 minutes
- Repeat if using the mini waffle maker (see Tips section in main article for using mini machine vs full size).
- Garnish tuna melt chaffles with dip and enjoy!
Meal prep the dip by making a jar full of the spice mix and then mix into either sour cream or mayonnaise when you want to use it.
Most of the carbs are from the dairy in the sour cream. Feel free to omit the sour cream if this is too much dairy for your plan. I often eat the cold tuna waffles just on their own!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 154mgSodium: 392mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 17g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar.
Don’t forget to Save these Crispy Keto Tuna Melt Chaffles to Pinterest!