A sweet and rich low carb dessert chaffle that will remind you of the famous Canadian Coffee Crisp chocolate bar! Vanilla cake chaffles filled with coffee buttercream icing and covered in a layer of chocolate glaze. A special keto dessert that only requires a small slice of decadence!
Coffee Crisp – Makes a nice light snack! If you are Canadian you will know that tag line very well!
Well forget the nice light snack, I made these coffee crisp chaffles into a full on dessert! My fellow Canadians will be quite familiar with the chocolate covered coffee wafer bar.
Basically this chaffle dessert is 3 vanilla or cake flavored chaffles layered with a coffee flavored icing and drizzled with a chocolate glaze.
If you’ve never had a coffee crisp bar, then just think mocha cake. That would be the closest flavor to this.
NOTE: In spite of the name, it’s a cake and while it has that famous coffee crisp flavor, it is NOT crispy like an actual coffee crisp bar. But I did find an actual keto bar that comes pretty darn close, check out these keto wheyfer bars. They have the same light crispiness you might be craving!
Things you will need to make this Keto Coffee Crisp Chaffle Dessert
- mild flavored cheese such as mozzarella
- cream cheese
- baking powder
- flavor extracts
- Unsalted butter
- instant coffee
- heavy cream
- cocoa powder
- icing sugar substitute like this So Nourished sweetener or Swerve
- Sugar free chocolate chips
- a small blender (but you could also whisk it!)
- electric mixer for the icing
- a mini dash chaffle maker
Tips and Tricks for the best coffee crisp flavored Keto Chaffle dessert!
- There are 3 main components to this dessert. The chaffles, the filling and the glaze. Be sure to allow everything to cool between the assembly steps.
- The recipe is designed for the little mini dash maker. You could do this in a regular waffle maker but you would have to adjust for the amount to fill the machine evenly as well as the look of the finished results will be quite different.
- Although I can easily eat 3 chaffles for a meal, this dessert is so rich that I would divide into 6 pieces. I was quite satisfied with an even smaller sliver than that! That said, someone else in my family ate 3/4 of this dessert over the course of 24 hours.
- You can cover the entire cake with the chocolate glaze or you can pour it over and make it fancy like the picture below!
Printable Recipe Card for Keto Coffee Crisp Chaffle Dessert
Chaffles (Makes 3 chaffles)
- 1 egg
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sweetener (like Swerve)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or a cake batter flavor if you have it)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
Coffee Cream Icing
- 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 heaping teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup icing sugar substitute
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup sugar free chocolate chips
- Plug in mini dash waffle maker.
- In a small blender like a Magic Bullet, combine all the chaffle ingredients and blend. You can also whisk ingredients if you don't have a blender.
- Pour 1/3 batter into waffle maker and cook for about 3 minutes. Repeat to make 3 Chaffles and set them aside to cool on a rack.
- Coffee Icing: Mix heavy cream, instant coffee and cocoa in a small bowl and warm in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Whip butter with electric mixer until very light and fluffy.
- Mix in the warmed coffee cream mixture.
- Mix in the icing sugar substitute a little bit at a time. You can add more or less to taste.
- Lay 1 chaffle on serving plate. Cover with layer of icing, repeat with 2 more Chaffles. Take remainder of icing and cover entire cake. Place in fridge to set for at least 1 hour.
- Chocolate glaze: Prepare glaze by melting cream and butter in the microwave for about 15 seconds. Stir in chocolate chips until melted.
- You can either spread chocolate icing over entire chaffle cake or just drizzle it on top and allow to run down the sides.
- Chill in fridge overnight or until chocolate glaze hardens.
NOTE: The recipe is designed for the little mini dash maker. You could do this in a regular waffle maker but you would have to adjust for the amount to fill the machine evenly as well as the look of the finished results will be quite different.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 147mgCarbohydrates: 4gNet Carbohydrates: 2gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar.
In Love with Chocolate?
Need More Keto Chaffle Recipes?