I usually take at least a week or so off during the Christmas Break. How blissful to sleep in a bit and to make a more leisurely breakfast in the morning. It’s always a given that there will be at least one morning of Eggs Benedict and one morning of a BLT. This Low Carb BLT salad is my way of enjoying the yummy BLT taste while keeping it grain free, gluten free and low carb.
I have actually made a low carb bread for our traditional BLT morning, but this year I just never got around to it. Thankfully, this low carb BLT salad turned out fast and delicious. It might seem different to eat a salad in the morning, but there is enough of the BLT in this one that you forget pretty quick that it’s a salad! Plus at this time of year where I am not having to get up at 5am, eating breakfast at 10am is more like brunch. So here it is just the way I made it, but know that it is highly customizable. Add or subtract whatever you need.
The amounts listed are for 1 salad, you can just adjust depending on how many people are eating.
Low Carb BLT Salad
- 2 cups fresh, mixed greens
- 3 slices fried bacon cut in bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp sugar free mayonnaise
- 1 slice of beefsteak tomato, chopped
- 1/4 avocado, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp shredded cheese. (I used fresh parmesan but blue cheese would be amazing on this!)
I usually cook the bacon at the time I make this. I have tried cooking it the night before in order to have it ready to go but that never works. Let’s be honest, who has leftover bacon in the house, it just doesn’t happen.
Some people cook their bacon in the microwave but I’m old school and fry in the pan. I do use a Bacon Splatter Screen to save my stove top and it’s a must if cooking bacon while naked. I just said that to see if you were awake! 🙂
So basically your just build your BLT salad like this:
- Cook bacon or if you have it pre-cooked (ya right!) then warm it up
- Place fresh greens in a salad bowl
- Top with 1 tbsp mayo, chopped avo and tomato.
- Place hot bacon on top of that
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
This is so easy and you are going to LOVE this low carb breakfast option! Enjoy!