Keto Staples – Herb and Garlic Whole Roasted Chicken
Chicken is such a versatile staple on the Keto diet that cooking a whole roasted chicken is a skill we all need to have! A whole roasted chicken should be full of flavor and juices and this recipe will make that wish come true!
It’s perfect for Sunday dinner with the addition of some veggies, salad and mashed cauliflower.
Use the leftovers to make a delicious homemade chicken stock and shred the leftover meat to use in soups, salads or a great casserole.
Mashed potatoes is a perfect side for Whole Roasted Chicken but loaded with carbs. My family actually loves it when I make mashed cauliflower puree. Try my recipe here.
Keep the onion in this recipe either whole or in large chunks because it is simply used for extra flavor and to raise the chicken up from the bottom of the pan.
You will be throwing it away because onions are fairly high in carbs compared to most vegetables.
Printable recipe card for Keto Whole Roasted Chicken
- 1 large white onion, cut in half or in thick slices
- 1 5-6 lb. whole chicken
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 bag fresh poultry herbs (thyme, rosemary, & sage), rinsed and divided. (You can buy this in most produce departments, see notes)
- ¼ cup butter, room temp
- 6-8 cloves garlic, finely minced, divided
- 1 cup organic chicken broth, no sugar added
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Place onion chunks in bottom of a large, heavy-duty high sided oven proof skillet like this one.
- Place the chicken breast-side up on top of onion slices in skillet. Pat dry with paper towels and generously season the outside with salt and black pepper.
- Chop about 1/3 of the poultry herbs, discarding any rough stems.
- Add the softened butter, half the minced garlic, and the chopped fresh poultry herbs in a small bowl and stir to combine. Divide the herb butter into small chunks before tucking evenly under the chicken skin covering the breast meat.
- Massage the remaining minced garlic inside the cavity of the bird before stuffing with the remaining fresh poultry herbs. Secure legs together with kitchen string, and then add the chicken broth to the skillet.
- Place skillet in pre-heated oven and roast for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165° Check every 30 minutes while cooking to make sure the skin isn’t becoming too brown. If it is, cover with aluminum foil after 1 hour and check for doneness after another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven and carefully transfer chicken to a serving platter. Cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm and let rest for 15-20 minutes.
- While the chicken rests, discard the onion slices in the skillet and heat the remaining liquid over medium-high heat. Scrape the bottom of the skillet with a spatula or wooden spoon to remove the browned bits. Continue cooking until the liquid is reduced by one half. Once reduced, taste and season with salt and black pepper, if desired.
- To serve, carve the chicken and top each serving with a spoonful of the warm pan sauce. Enjoy!
If you cannot get the fresh bag of poultry herbs, then use 2-3 tbsp of a good organic poultry seasoning blend.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Here are Keto Recipes to Use your Whole Roasted Chicken Leftovers