Keto zucchini pizza boats are fun and easy to make and a great way to use up all that extra summer squash in your garden! I like them in the airfryer because it keeps the heat out of your kitchen but oven directions are here as well! Load up your favorite toppings!
Keto Zucchini Pizza Boats Baked or Airfried!
I grew up on zucchini boats as the daughter of a Mom who had a huge garden with plenty of zucchini.
Remember the scenes in Forrest Gump when Bubba told Forrest all the things you can do with shrimp?
We are like that here. We got:
- Zucchini fritters
- Zucchini Waffles
- Zucchini loaf
- Zucchini chocolate brownies
- Zucchini Casserole
- Zucchini chips
- Zucchini Bites
- Zucchini fries
- Zucchini quiche
- And now these Zucchini boats …
I could go on but I won’t!
Things Needed for Making Zucchini Boats
To make the basic zucchini pizza boats you’ll need some of the following:
- Zucchinis that are 7-8 inches long that are wide enough to be hollowed out
- Low carb marinara sauce
- Shredded cheese, whatever your favorite cheeses are. I typically shred the part skim mozzarella cheese so the nutrition is calculated using that.
- Your choices of meats and other toppings. I like to use some spicy ground beef that I have batch cooked for the week just because it’s easy!
- A pan or airfryer basket to hold the boats.
Tips and Tricks for Making Zucchini Boats
- One reason I like the air fryer version is that the bottoms of the boat don’t get soggy. If you don’t have an airfyer, try placing your zucchini boats on a rack over your roasting sheet so there is air circulation under it.
- I like using my full size air fryer oven (I have the Airfryer Oven 360) because I can fit 4 large boats in the basket. I also have the other kind (Ninja with the round basket type) and if that’s the case just cut the boats to fit the basket.
- To reduce leakage of the filling leave an edge all around the hollowed out zucchini. If you are cutting the boats to fit into a round air fryer, line the cut edges up against each other.
- 2 medium zucchini cut lengthwise and hollowed out
- 1 cup cooked and seasoned ground beef (see tip section below)
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce like Rao's
- Leave it like this or add your favorite pizza toppings (be sure to adjust carb counts)
- Slice zucchini in half lengthwise. Hollow out the zucchini leaving an edge all around so that it's like a boat.
- Preheat airfryer or oven to 400
- In a bowl, combine cooked ground beef, marinara sauce and 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Spoon the mixture into the 4 zucchini boats
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cheese over top
- Cook for about 20 minutes in airfryer, or 25 minutes in oven.
Time saving Meal Prep Tip: Batch cook ground beef ahead of time for many different recipes. I normally do this weekly and add about 2 tbsp seasoning per pound of meat. You can use Italian seasoning, taco seasoning, etc
Carb counts below reflect the basic recipe. Adjust for the toppings you add.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 4gNet Carbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gProtein: 12g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar.
Save these Zucchini Pizza Boat ideas to Pinterest!