If you are looking for a new keto soup recipe, try this Instant pot low carb chicken fajita soup.
Isn’t it just that perfect time of year for a heartwarming soup?
We have come up with the perfect skinny chicken fajita soup that is full of flavor and so fast to make in a pressure cooker!
Not only that, if you are following keto on a budget then our chicken fajita soup will fit right in to your menu plans by using your own homemade broth, your own taco seasoning and you can even substitute skinless chicken thighs!
You will need an Instant Pot for this Mexican Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup.
You can use either a 6 quart or 8 quart Instant Pot. I personally find the 6 quart to be more than enough room for any recipe that I’ve found to try.
For any busy mom with kids or if you are a working mom, the Instant Pot would be a life changing purchase!
That might sound dramatic but time is precious and this thing saves time!
I especially love that everything comes out tasting like you slaved all day but it cooks so fast!
Can you make this healthy chicken fajita soup without an Instant Pot?
Basically follow the same directions except use a regular pot on the stovetop. You will just need to cook it longer on the stove to cook those chicken breasts.
When the chicken breasts are cooked through, take them out and shred them. Add back in with the peppers and simmer until everything is hot. Garnish! Easy peasy!
No matter how you cook it, this skinny mexican chicken fajita soup will only taste better the next day, if that even seems possible!
How do you make chicken fajita soup?
Well, first you will need to gather these ingredients (there is a printable recipe card below):
- peppers (bell peppers and 1 hot pepper)
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- chicken broth
- can of fire roasted tomatoes (with no added sugar)
- garnish items (avocado, cilantro, cheese, etc)
Low Carb Chicken fajita soup recipe notes:
- If you can’t find fire roasted tomatoes don’t panic. They do add some smokiness to the taste but this will still be amazing with regular diced tomatoes. If you happen to have smoked paprika you can add that.
- You can substitute your favorite sugar free taco seasoning for the list of spice ingredients. I would use 2-3 tbsp of mexican taco seasoning.
- If you have homemade chicken broth on hand, that is perfect! If not, learn how to make your own homemade broth here for future.
Print this Recipe card for Keto Chicken Fajita Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ med. red onion, sliced
- 1 med. red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 med. yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium Anaheim or Poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 14-oz. can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, with liquid
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp Mexican oregano, dried
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- juice of 1 fresh lime
- 2 large avocados, sliced
- 3 Tbsp red onion, chopped
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot® and select the Sauté function. Set to high and once the display reads “hot,” add onions and peppers. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring continually, until the onion and peppers are crisp-tender and develop a bit of color, about 4-5 minutes. Switch unit to “off” and transfer veggies to a bowl. Set aside.
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place chicken in Instant Pot®, along with tomatoes, chicken broth and the spices. Stir to combine.
- Add the lid and set the pressure valve to “sealing.” Select the “Manual” cooking option on the high setting and set cook time to 10 minutes. When done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
- Remove lid and shred chicken breasts with two forks. Add the veggies back in and add the lime juice. Stir to combine and taste. Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Allow soup to sit on “Warm” setting for several minutes until everything is heated through.
- Serve immediately topped with sliced avocados, red onion, cheese, and fresh cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!
If you like this low carb chicken fajita soup you might like these Keto soups that are also full of flavor:
Save this Keto Chicken Fajita Soup on Pinterest!