Using a Keto Electrolyte Drink for Keto Flu Symptoms
As amazing as the keto diet is for losing weight fast, those first few days or weeks can be pretty rough!
Or what happens if you go on vacation and in spite of your good intentions your Keto diet crashes and burns and you feel just sick.
It’s called the keto flu. This side effect can make you feel like you have the flu. It’s brought on by your body’s adjustment period when you switch from eating a lot of carbs to not consuming as many and even vice versa.
It can even happen when you change up your macros or go from lazy keto to clean keto.
The symptoms of the keto flu can vary, but there are several common ones. These side effects can include headache, nausea, fatigue, and achiness. You can read more details about Keto flu symptoms here.
Once you know that Keto Flu is basically an electrolyte imbalance, the problem becomes easy to solve and thankfully, even easy to prevent! We just need to add in some electrolyte supplements.
How a Keto Electrolyte Drink can help!
When you have keto flu all you want is to feel better fast.
What you need to feel better fast and relieve those keto flu side effects are electrolytes. While there are dietary sources of electrolytes (think pickles), the fastest and most efficient way to get them in is by drinking them.
You can certainly buy electrolyte drinks and there are good ones on the market now. This is the best one to have on hand for emergencies or if you just don’t have the time to make your own. It is zero carbs and sugars and replaces 6 electrolytes.
But if you could make a sugar free, homemade drink that was natural and hydrating, contained the keto electrolyte supplements that you need and it makes you feel better fast, then why wouldn’t you do it!?
What Can I Drink for Keto Flu Symptoms?
You can concoct your own drink or customize the keto electrolyte drink that I have made for you below.
There are certain elements you want to include in your drink to cover all your electrolyte supplement needs. Think Gatorade without all the extra sugar and junky chemicals.
Your homemade keto electrolyte drink should have the following:
- some flavoring to make it taste good enough so you’ll drink it!
- For keto and low carb diets it should be sugar free.
PS: If you want to learn more about the different types of salt and why we need it, I found this article to be super interesting!
Tips and Variations for Sugar Free Homemade Keto Electrolyte Drinks
Here are some things that I like to do:
- I add apple cider vinegar to my drink for extra health benefits
- You can use herbal tea instead of water
- Sweeten with some stevia if desired
- If you use a supplement like Calm, feel free to add a teaspoon for the extra magnesium
- Drink 1-2 of the recipe drink per day (2 if you exercise because you will be depleting even more sodium)
- Some grated ginger adds a nice zing and soothes tummy issues
- Remember, your drink doesn’t have to be the same each day! Mix it up with herbs from your garden or herbal teas or maybe some Mio drops.
- I use these cool Mason jars with lids and handle to mix my drinks up. I call it my adult sippy cup!
The most important supplements for your keto electrolyte drink:
Recipe for Sugarfree Homemade Keto Electrolyte Drink
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 tsp No-Salt
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp sweetener of choice
- 2 cups water or herbal tea
- ice cubes
- In a mason jar with lid or a shaker cup, combine all ingredients.
- Fill to the top with water
- Drink 1 or 2 per day.
Keto Electrolyte Drink