The Best Homemade Electrolyte Drink to Beat Keto Flu Fast
Using a Keto Electrolyte Drink for Keto Flu Symptoms
As amazing as the ketogenic diet is for losing weight fast, those first few days or weeks on a low-carb diet can be pretty rough! As your glycogen stores are being depleted and your body switches to burning fat for fuel, it’s a big change!
Even if you have been low-carb for awhile, what happens if you go on vacation and in spite of your good intentions your Keto diet crashes and burns and you feel like you have flu-like symptoms.
It’s called the keto flu. This side effect can make you feel like you have the actual flu. It’s brought on by your body’s adjustment period when you switch from eating a lot of carbs to a low carb diet of not consuming as many carbs and even vice versa.
It can even happen when you change up your macros or go from lazy keto to clean keto. No matter where you are in your keto lifestyle, it’s important to get enough electrolytes.
ANY change to your way of eating, even good ones, can cause electrolyte imbalances.
The symptoms of the keto flu can vary, but there are several common ones. These side effects can include:
- muscle cramps
- blood pressure issues
- water weight gain
- decreased muscle function and muscle weakness
- brain fog
- Other negative side effects. You can read more details about Keto flu symptoms here.
Once you know that Keto Flu is basically an electrolyte imbalance, the problem becomes easy to solve and thankfully, even easy to prevent! We just need to add in some electrolyte supplements.
How a Keto Electrolyte Drink can help!
When you have keto flu all you want is to feel better fast.
What you need to feel better fast and relieve those keto flu side effects are electrolytes. While there are dietary sources of electrolytes (think pickles), the fastest and most efficient way to get them in is by drinking them.
There are many electrolyte powders on the market and sports drinks to increase your electrolyte levels. You can buy good electrolyte drinks on the market now. This is the best one to have on hand for emergencies or if you just don’t have the time to make your own. It is zero carbs and sugars and replaces 6 important electrolytes.
But for me, the best way and an even more simple way is to make a keto electrolyte drink yourself! If you could make a sugar free, homemade drink that was natural and hydrating, contained the important electrolytes that you need and it makes you feel better fast, then why wouldn’t you do it!?
You probably have all or most of the ingredients you need on hand!
What Can I Drink for Keto Flu Symptoms?
You can concoct your own drink or customize the keto electrolyte drink that I have made for you below.
There are certain elements you want to include in your drink to cover all your electrolyte supplement needs. Think Gatorade or other sports drinks but without all the extra sugar and junky chemicals.
Your homemade keto electrolyte drink should have the following:
- potassium chloride
- some flavoring to make it taste good enough so you’ll drink it!
- For keto and low carb diets it should be sugar free.
PS: If you want to learn more about the different types of salt and why we need it, I found this article to be super interesting!
Tips and Variations for Sugar Free Homemade Keto Electrolyte Drinks
Here are some things that I like to do:
- I add apple cider vinegar to my drink for extra health benefits
- lemon juice or lime juice adds great flavor
- You can use herbal tea instead of water
- Sweeten with some stevia if desired
- Lite salt or No Salt contains potassium
- If you use magnesium supplement like Calm, add a teaspoon for the extra magnesium or use some powdered magnesium in the drink.
- Drink 1-2 of the recipe drink per day (2 if you exercise because you will be depleting even more sodium)
- Some grated ginger adds a nice zing and soothes tummy issues
- Remember, your drink doesn’t have to be the same each day! Mix it up with herbs from your garden or herbal teas or maybe some Mio drops.
- I use these cool Mason jars with lids and handle to mix my drinks up. I call it my adult sippy cup!
The most important supplements for your keto electrolyte drink:
- Sea salt (for sodium, chloride, and magnesium)
- Lo-Salt also called No Salt or Lite Salt in some places (for potassium)
- Calm or other magnesium powder
- Fresh lemon (for potassium)
Recipe for Sugarfree Homemade Keto Electrolyte Drink
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon squeezed)
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 tsp No-Salt or Lo Salt
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- Calm or magnesium powder(check label for dosage)
- 1 tsp sweetener of choice
- 2 cups water
- ice cubes
- In a mason jar with lid or a shaker cup, combine all ingredients.
- Fill to the top with water
- Drink 1 or 2 per day.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 10Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1190mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar.