Tender chunks of lamb melt in your mouth in this hearty stew featuring Guinness beer broth and earthy vegetables that are lower in carbs. Serve over cauli mash or with keto buns.
Keto Irish Stew with Lamb and Vegetables
First I’m not in any way Irish! But I do love a good stew and I especially love a lamb stew.
Traditional Irish stew is made with mutton, onions and potatoes. I see people throw in carrots and peas and flour to thicken the broth. Lots of carbs all around!
So my keto version of the traditional Irish stew omits those things, yet is still hearty and flavorful.
What you will need to make this low carb Irish Stew
- Cubed lamb stew
- onion and garlic
- low carb root veggies (any combination of your choice, see next section)
- can of Guinness stout (optional but next level!)
- Beef broth
- tomato paste
- bay leaves
- dried rosemary or a sprig of fresh rosemary
*NOTE* for buying the lamb
It’s hard to find lamb stew so your best bet is going to the butcher. They will have lamb shoulder and will cube it for you. Lamb legs won’t work for this recipe as they don’t get tender like this when braising.
What root vegetables are low carb?
- Celery Root (or celeriac)
I went with a combination of some of these lower in carbs earthy vegetables for this stew. I left the radishes whole and they looked like little potatoes!
Not a single person has questioned what was in the stew! They just gobbled it up!
Is Guinness Low Carb?
And so what about the beer?
One cup of Guinness stout has about 6.5 carbs so we are adding 1.5 carbs per serving if 4 people share this stew.
In addition, a dark stout like Guinness adds a good amount of flavonoids, which can help combat inflammation, lower oxidative stress, and reduce the oxygenation of cholesterol.
But if you don’t want to use it, just use more beef broth!
Ok, here is the printable Irish Stew recipe card!
Keto Irish Stew with Lamb and Vegetables
Tender chunks of lamb melt in your mouth in this hearty keto stew featuring Guinness beer broth and earthy vegetables that are lower in carbs. Serve over cauli mash or with keto buns.
- 2 lbs lamb shoulder (cubed)
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 3 cups celery root, rutabaga or turnip cut into chunks
- 1 bunch of radishes, washed and trimmed, left whole
- Season lamb cubes with salt and pepper
- In large heavy pot with lid or Dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp oil and brown half the lamb, then repeat with the second batch. Transfer the browned meat to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to the same pot with 2 tbsp water and stir with wooden spoon until onions are soft, trying to scrape all the browned bits from pan.
- Stir in tomato paste. Add lamb with juices back into pot.
- Add the Guinness and beef broth, the bay leaves and rosemary, stir well and bring to a boil.
- Place lid on pot. turn to low and allow the mixture to simmer for about 90 minutes.
- Add the vegetables then cover and continue to simmer until they vegetables are cook, another 30 minutes or so.
- If the stew needs more liquid. You can add more beef broth or some water. If the stew is too thin, allow it to simmer uncovered until liquid is reduced.
- Remove bay leaves before serving and adjust seasonings if needed.
- You can use any dark beer and if you do not want to use beer, then just use more beef broth.
- Use any combination of the lower carb root vegetables such as radish, turnip, celery root and rutabaga.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 382Total Fat: 17.6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 1043mgCarbohydrates: 9gNet Carbohydrates: 7gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 32g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar.
21 Keto Comfort Foods!
If you want more comfort food recipes like this one, check this out!
Save this Keto Irish Stew Recipe to Pinterest!