I may have called these babies muffins, but really they are personal sized Low Carb Cheesecakes! I normally make cream cheese muffins as an alternative breakfast or lunch but I had some macarpone cheese in the fridge and thought it might elevate that standby recipe a bit!
And so it did! The addition of the hazelnut element made it even more of a treat. You could actually dress this little cheesecake muffin up with other flavor options like caramel and pecans, but my Dad has three Hazelnut trees in his yard and so I always have buckets of raw organic hazelnuts in the pantry. If you are not that lucky you can also score raw hazelnuts on Amazon.
Mascarpone Cheese Hazelnut Low Carb Cheesecake Muffins
- 4 eggs
- 6 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar free Hazelnut syrup
- 2 packets Stevia or to taste
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp chopped hazelnuts
- Place the eggs, cheese, syrup and stevia in blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour batter into 6 muffin tins (I used a silicone muffin pan like this one, they pop right out!)
- Sprinkle cheesecake muffins with a dash of cinnamon.
- Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes
- They will taste more cheese-cakey if you then let them get cold in the fridge.
After they are cold, serve with a teaspoon of chopped hazelnuts on each muffin. If you are eating dairy, then top with a dollop of heavy whipped cream for a dash of deluxe decadence.
Egg Fasters! If you want to eat these while on the egg fast, then just leave out the nuts. Pour the batter into 4 larger muffin tins instead of 6.
For the Egg Fast, each low carb cheesecake muffin (1/4 of the recipe) will count as 1 egg, 1.5 ounces cheese and 1 sweetener serving. You could make a nice buttery/cinnamon sauce for the top.