So I was browsing on Pinterest trying to find some snacky sweet Keto recipes for those times the sweet craving hits and I came across some very tasty chocolate coconut balls. That gave me the idea for these Hazelnut Low Carb Cheesecake Bites.
They fit the high fat, low carb, moderate protein ratio for LCHF very nicely and taste amazing!
Be sure to let the cream cheese soften up to save your arm, I was too impatient the first time!
Hazelnut Low Carb Cheesecake Bites.
(inspired by The Keto Kitchen)
- 8 oz package cream cheese (the brick kind like thisKraft Philadelphia Cream Cheese)
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- Stevia to taste (I like the zero carb SweetLeaf brand)
- 1 or 2 tbsp Sugar Free Hazelnut syrup
- 1/4 c ground hazelnuts (I use a coffee grinder)
I’m lucky in that I live in an area where Hazelnut trees are practically a weed! My Dad even has 3 trees in his backyard so I get buckets of hazelnuts every year.
If your supermarket doesn’t have them, the best prices are on Amazon!
Hazelnuts (also called Filberts by the way) are a staple around here because they make such a quick healthy snack. The kids like to crack them open so I can usually get them busy on this and keep my supply well stocked. I keep all my open hazelnuts in a bag in the freezer.
They are a great snack for a low carb diet. Ground hazelnuts can also be used as a crunchy coating for chicken breasts and also you can mix them with butter to make a low carb crust when making a pie or a low carb cheesecake!
Of course my kids just eat them out of the shell like nature’s candy!
- Put out the cream cheese to soften on the counter at room temperature. Once softened, place in a large bowl and add all other ingredients except for the ground hazelnuts.
- Use a wooden spoon to blend the cream cheese, cocoa powder and sweetener and syrup. (NOTE) I find the syrup to be sweet enough so I don’t add stevia, but you can after you taste it.
- Roll the mixture into 16 balls. Dip each ball into the ground hazelnuts.
- Chill to harden. I keep mine buried in the back of the fridge (so my kids don’t eat them all at once!). Then they are there for me when that emergency craving hits!
UPDATE: It’s July 2015 and we are in a heat wave. I tried making these tonight and the mixture was too soft to roll into balls! To make them less soft use less syrup (only 1 tbsp) and maybe add some stevia. What I ended up doing (because I had already added too much syrup!) is spreading the cream mixture in a silicone pan and sprinkling the ground hazelnuts on top. Then I placed in the freezer for an hour. Cut into squares. This was quite heavenly actually!
Here are the macros/counts for these Low Carb Hazelnut Cheesecake Bites from My Fitness Pal:
Two balls contain: 112 Cal, 4 Carbs, 10 Fat, 3 Protein, 1 Fibre
I hope you enjoy them!
More Low carb and keto fat bombs!